Sunday, February 3, 2008

Randy's Donuts, Inglewood

I've heard about Randy's donuts being delicious, and I've seen the iconic landmark several times before while driving the 405:

Usually, Dana and I visit the donut shops together, but since I was working a block away I figured I'd take advantage of the drive-thru and pick some up on the way back home

Here is what we ended up eating-
Dana: 1 original glazed, 1 chocolate covered raised
Me: 1 honey wheat, 1 cake donut w/pink frosting
The Verdict: As far as I'm concerned, Randy's is over-rated. I did sample Dana's donuts as well and was dissapointed all around. While the original glazed has decent flavor, it is much too dense and doesn't fluff back into shape after being bitten. It's very greasy and has an ultra-fried flavor to it as well. I didn't agree with my wife about the chocolate coating- while she said it had good flavor and wasn't too sweet, I thought it was grainy and tasted like dirt. Again, this one was too dense as well. Randy's does a better job with their cake donuts. The frosted cake was the best of the four and had a light freshness to it. It didn't taste too greasy and didn't require a pint of milk to wash it down. The pink frosting was good, but non-descript. Lastly, the Honey Wheat is a Randy's original and has uniqueness going for it, but that's about all. It comes across like more of a bagel/donut hybrid and sits in your stomach like a bag of Fritos.
*Destination Donut--- or---Keep it Local: Keep it Local
*Cup-Holder Change---or---Bust out the Wallet: Cup-Holder Change
All in all, Randy's is ok if you happen to be on the corner of La Cienega and Manchester and are craving some fried treats, otherwise don't bother. I'm sure your local shop has as good if not better donuts. One last thing I'll say is that since Randy's is located near LAX, the consumer has the pleasure of watching planes landing which I always enjoy:


View Larger Map

2 comments:

Seriously said...

i hate that donut store. i had a whole bunch of blacks asking me for change... and i straight got aids. what a dump.

andy said...

damn aids...they'll get you every time!